February 12, 2009

Change is good

We went through CI the other day and cut out all of the shit that we thought was funny a half a decade ago. It was a lot. I mean, a lot. I think we reduced a 36 page script to 14 pages of salvageable material. On the forefront of the cuts were Thom and Alex. I sometimes wonder if these characters are merely the sinews that keep the meat of the characters together. I think it is time to reinvent them.

Perhaps they need to be based on other people, much like the Fashion Police are now characterized by who they are "played" by. Unfortunately, we are not the Owen and Luke Wilson (was that who was going to play us? I know one of us was Owen Wilson... maybe it was Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn...) that played the alternate versions of us. Perhaps an amalgamation of several characters?

I see Thom as Jim Kuback (Mission Hill), Peter Venkman (Ghostbusters), Hellboy (Hellboy), and Harry Lockhart (Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang) all wrapped into one.

And, after much discussion, Alex is sort of an Egon Spangler (Ghostbusters), Tony Stark (Iron Man), Martin Blank (Grosse Point Blank), and Roger Murtaugh (Lethal Weapon) all mixed together kind of character...

With this in mind, I think new characters will bring CI and CII back to life.

No comments: